Wednesday Sept 22 at noon: Below please find a flyer for our first Geology Fall Seminar Series presenter, Dr. Julie Griffin, speaking on Orbital Forcing of Precipitation Recorded in an upper Paleozoic Cyclothem of the Midcontinent, USA. Please join us via Zoom next Wednesday: https://csub.zoom.us/j/98967782285
The PSAAPG Virtual Convention will be held June 21-24, 2021!
• A virtual field trip lead by Dr. Richard Behl of CSU Long Beach on the evening of June 21
• Three technical sessions scheduled for the mornings of June 22, 23 and 24
• Bob Lindblom’s annual Honors and Awards session on the evening of June 23
The technical sessions include:
• A Regulatory and Environmental Geology session, including a panel discussion with the State Geologist Dr Steven Bohlen and William Bartling, recently retired CalGEM Chief Deputy, on the
future of petroleum geologists in California, plus a lecture on the use of the role of stratigraphy in the environmental industry by Rick Cramer, and additional technical presentations.
• A Monterey session with a lecture on age control in the Monterey and its relationship to climate change, plus several technical presentation including updates on the latest Monterey research
• A geochemistry session with Allegra Hosford Scheirer on the use of machine learning to enhance the understanding of petroleum systems, plus several technical presentations focusing on the coastal basins of California
Check the convention website for registration information
Announcement from CSH-SEG: The symposium will be held over two days and will consist of a keynote address, multiple speakers each day, and two exciting lunchtime events. The first will be our traditional SEG Student Challenge Bowl competition. This will be held online and will feature the traditional battle between student geophysicists to be crowned the winner of the GSH Challenge Bowl and to earn a place at the Challenge Bowl finals at the SEG Annual Meeting in the fall! The second event will be the announcement of the winners of the Machine Learning Competition being run by the Data Science & Machine Learning SIG and will include an overview of the competition challenge, the announcement of the winner, and a presentation by the winning entry.
Keynote Speaker: Jake Umbriaco, Digital Platform and Services Manager, Subsurface – Chevron Confirmed speakers and topics include: Aria Abubaker, Schlumberger Machine Learning for Geoscience Applications Satinder Chopra, SamiGeo Some Machine Learning Applications for Seismic Facies Classification Hugo Garcia, Geoteric Automated Fault Detection from 3D Seismic using Artificial Intelligence Elive Menyoli, Emerson Wavefield Separation via Principle Component Analysis and Deep learning in the Local Angle Domain Tom Smith, Geophysical Insights The Scientific Universe from Square One to SOM Yuting Duan, Shell Estimation of Time-lapse Timeshifts using Machine Learning Jon Downton, CGG Predicting Reservoir Properties from Seismic and Well Data using Deep Neural Networks Wenyi Hu, AGT & UH Progressive Transfer Learning for Low Frequency Prediction in FWI
First of all, we hope that you, your families and loved ones are well as we navigate through these unprecedented times. President Trump & Governor Newsom issued an executive order (March 2020) urging the public to cancel non-essential gatherings. The health, safety, and well-being of our members is our chief concern.
Accordingly, the PCS-SEG Officers have agreed to cancelApril & May Luncheons. We will, likewise, take our customary Summer break (June-August). We are tentatively planning to resume our PCS-SEG Luncheons September 2nd 2020. Please check the PCS-SEG website for updates.
May you and your families stay safe until we meet again!!!
Blessings to all!!
Gary, Bill, Christine, Kathy, Catherine & Christopher